Podcast Episode 018–
Pre-PA insight from a program director
featuring Michael Huckabee, Ph.D, PA-C
Episode 018–Interview with a Program Director: Applications, Interviews, and Pre-PA Insight
Subscribe on iTunes; leave us a rating and review!
How often do we get to ask Program Directors questions and get transparent answers? NOT OFTEN, so this episode will knock your socks off!!
Don’t wait: 30-day free trial of Audible with a free book of your choice! – http://pastartup.co/audible
Subscribe to this podcast: http://bit.ly/pastartup
Mike Huckabee, Ph.D. PA-C is the Program Director at the Mayo Clinic PA Program and a personal friend–in today’s episode we have unique access to his thoughts on pre-PA/PA applicants, application process, and more! He offers great insight to the thoughts of a program director and applications committee–how important are essays, course load, what the applications committee is really looking for…this episode has a TON of great info for new/repeat applicants. Seriously–I can’t thank Mike enough for his time and insight!
Clinical Leadership for Physician Assistants and Nurse Practitioners by Michael Huckabee, Ph.D., PA-C
Writing Your PA School Application Essay, by Chris Darst, MPAS, PA-C
Jump to a topic:
- 6:00–What catches the eye of PA Admissions Committee?
- 7:32–Showing non-cognitive variables: grit, integrity, and character
- 9:00–Including grit/your story in essay up front
- 11:33–The truth about adding additional science classes to help GPA vs. retaking lower grades
- 15:10–Does course load matter? (e.g., if I took a bunch of hard classes at the same time, will that make me a better candidate?)
- 16:46–Shadowing hours
- 19:15–Shadowing PA vs. MD
- 20:25–Essay tips: personality differences of the reader
- 23:25–INTERVIEW SECRETS (awesome insight here!!!!)
- 28:00–What truly is the applications committee looking for?
- 31:05–What is the purpose of on-site writing?
- 35:30–Advice for applicants who don’t get in (Hint: They EXPECT you to contact them!)
Also, submit your questions for our NEXT Q&A episode to email@example.com.
Ok, ok…that’s all! Thanks for coming by…I appreciate it!