Podcast Episode 021–
A Day In the Life: Trauma
Acute Care/TraumaMore Exciting than TV
Episode 021–A Day In The Life of an Acute Care/Trauma PA
Trauma…high intensity, something new rolling through the door…always a challenge!
Mike is our first repeat guest on the podcast; he was in episode 7, “Talking Finances with the Finance Fellow”, available here and show notes here…but today he’s back talking about his life as a Trauma/Acute Care coordinator.
He has a great work/life balance, good working relationships with supervising physicians, residents, nursing staff, and more…maybe Trauma/Acute Care is right for you?
Find Mike here:
Don’t wait: 30-day free trial of Audible with a free book of your choice! – http://pastartup.co/audible
Subscribe to this podcast: http://bit.ly/pastartup002
Here’s what we talk about:
- History of finance to medicine path
- Working as an EMT in NYC during school
- Treating a man who had a heart attack in an elevated train house
- How his EMT experience influence his rotations (including medical forensics!)
- Living off campus, with a 1.5 hour commute
- Advice to himself as a new grad
- First job in Emergency Medicine
- Transitioning to Trauma
- Not having other PAs to learn from on the new job
- What the Trauma job means for a PA
- Responsibilities as his hospital was awarded Level I Trauma status
- Training new interns every year
- Respect from resident, even though we’re not doctors
- Typical day/week in Trauma
- Rounding hand-off
- First assisting with Acute Care surgeons
- Favorite part about trauma
- Least favorite part about trauma
Send Q&A questions to us: email@example.com
Ok, ok…that’s all! Thanks for coming by…I appreciate it!